Discussion: Reasoning in a Specialty Area
Bring to mind an important practice-related decision you have made recently. How did you approach this decision? What aspects of your specialty expertise informed your decision-making?
Evaluate your decision now in light of the principles of clinical reasoning presented in the Learning Resources this week. What new insights arise about your decision making as you look at it through this lens? What questions emerge as you reflect how you use reasoning in your practice?
In this Discussion, you and your colleagues examine the application of reasoning strategies in your specialty area of practice, particularly as it is connected to your EBP Assignment question.
- Consider the definition of clinical reasoning and how it is distinguished from other terms in the Simmons article.
- Bring to mind key characteristics of your specialty area. Is the concept of clinical reasoning relevant and sufficient to describe the process you utilize as you make decisions and solve problems in your area of specialization? Why or why not? If not, what terminology would be more useful for defining or characterizing this process?
- Review the literature to identify at least two specific examples of reasoning strategies used in your specialty area. These may be part of your literature review related to your EBP Assignment question(s).
- Reflect on your EBP Assignment question(s). Reexamine your project question(s) through this lens of clinical, or alternately termed, reasoning.
Post a cohesive scholarly response that addresses the following:
- How are reasoning strategies most often applied in your specialty area? Provide at least two specific examples supported by the literature.
- How can you apply reasoning strategies to the refinement of your EBP Assignment question(s)?
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!