nursing management,Nursing management,nursing management
Jessica, a Millennial (Generation Y) nurse working on a medical-surgical unit, recently completed her first year of practice. Ralph, her manager, is pleased with her transition and believes sheâ€™s making good progress toward becoming a competent nurse.
During her first evaluation, Jessica tells Ralph she has mastered the role of being a med-surg nurse. She wants to know the next thing she can do in her career to reach her goal of becoming a manager. Ralph is disconcerted by her self-assessment, which he thinks doesnâ€™t accurately reflect where she is as a professional. A Baby Boomer, he advanced up the leadership ladder one rung at a time. He impatiently tells Jessica she hasnâ€™t achieved competency as a staff nurse. He explains that a management position is a long way off and she needs to focus on mastering her current role.
In your reflection, please draft a paragraph or two based on the prompt below:
Jessica and Ralph each come to you, the nurse manager, with complaints about the interaction.
- As the manager, what are some of the underlying sources of conflict that might be at play?
- What strategies can the nurse manager utilize to resolve the conflict between Jessica and Ralph and ensure a healthy working relationship moving forward?
For your Leading and Influence Change Paper: Part III,
you â€¯will discuss how the nurse leader can apply transformational leadership strategies to facilitate change. â€¯In addition to referencing the specific solution proposed in Part I, you should keep the SWOT analysis and identities of relevant stakeholders in mind.
Part IIIâ€¯ should be between â€¯2-3 â€¯pages (excluding the title page and references) and must reflect APA standards for formatting (e.g., title page, APA level headings, references, grammar, punctuation, mechanics, usage) and writing should be consistent with Standard American English. â€¯At least two sources should be used to support your response to the prompts below:
- Describe how you could use principles of transformational leadership to enhance the overall outcome?
- Identify â€¯and describe leadership â€¯skills â€¯and strategies â€¯(negotiation,â€¯transparency, building trust, etc.) â€¯that â€¯the nurse leader could employ to ensure successful implementation of the proposed solution.
- Select an issue from the following list: nursing shortage and nurse turn-over, nurse staffing ratios, unit closures and restructuring, use of contract employees (i.e., registry and travel nurses), continuous quality improvement and patient satisfaction, and magnet designation.
- Compare and contrast how you would expect nursing leaders and managers to approach your selected issue. Support your rationale by using the theories, principles, skills, and roles of the leader versus manager described in your readings.
- Identify the approach that best fits your personal and professional philosophy of nursing and explain why the approach is suited to your personal leadership style.
- Identify a possible funding source that addresses your issue. Consider looking at federal, state, and local organizations. For example: There are many grants available through the CDC, HRSA, etc.
- Use at least two references other than your text and those provided in the course.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!