Social Justice, Epidemiology and Health Inequalities
Essay Assignment Spring 2019
Epidemiology is evolving from tracking outbreaks caused by a virus or bacteria to investigate and determine if there are other causes which may result in a person being more susceptible to illness and disease. The article, pdf link at the top of this section, by Michael Marmot, “Social justice, epidemiology, and health inequalities” provides you with good starting point in beginning your research on this topic. I have also listed two additional links from the National Academy of Medicine which will provide you with additional reference material on this topic. These links are provided by permission from the National Academy of Medicine for you to read online or download as you deem necessary to compete your research paper. I expect you to sue the two National Academy of Medicine articles in your essay. The links are follow:
May need to copy these into the browser to access the articles. Help find other resources which discuss this topic including not only academic or research articles but also articles from the mainstream press where you will find both pro and con discussions on this topic. Upon reading these other sources, there will be a variety of opinions, not all of which are based on any factual information regarding social justice or health inequalities.
- Your paper will cover two concepts:
- How to understand the assigned reading and the other readings that were found on this subject?
- What is an opinion or strategy to address the perceived issue raised by the essays and articles read?
I will grade your paper based on the following:
- An understanding of social justice and health inequalities
- A strategy to address the issue.
- Perceive any bias in any of the articles or news reports on this topic an if so, what were they.
- An argument for your chosen strategy.
Length can be longer depending upon how much background information is needed to form a strategy.
A page of used websites for sources will be needed at the end of the essay.