Why should we be careful not to gender-type mental disorders?
Depression, anxiety, somatic symptoms, and high rates of comorbidity are significantly related to interconnected and co-occurrent risk factors, such as gender-based roles, stressors, and negative life experiences and events (World Health Organization, n.d.). In this discussion, review the research on treatment differences in genders.
In your discussion, address the following:
- How does gender play a critical determinant in mental health and mental illness?
- Disorders such as depression, anxiety, and somatic complaints predominately occur in women, affecting approximately one in three people in the community and constitute serious public health problems (World Health Organization, n.d.). Why do you think this occurs, and what are the implications for the family and society?
- Why are men more likely (more than three times) to be diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder than women? Provide a brief explanation supported with research.
- Why should we be careful not to gender-type mental disorders?
Justify your answers with appropriate reasoning and research.
World Health Organization. (n.d.). Gender and women’s mental health: Genderdisparities and mental health: The facts. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/genderwomen/en/
Search the Internet and locate one gender-specific treatment center for men and one for women. Evaluate the services offered at each center. How are they similar and different? Do you feel they address the gender barriers to treatment identified in Part 1?
Briefly, in a minimum of 200–300 words, respond to the following:
- What is gender-specific or gender-sensitive counseling?
- How are gender-specific facilities similar and different? What makes them gender specific?
- How does sex role stereotyping occur in psychotherapeutic practice? Provide an example.
- What are the similarities and differences between treatment barriers for men and women?
Justify your answers with appropriate reasoning and research. Cite all sources in APA format. Please attach a Turnitin.com Report.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!